The Investigative Cases Center (ICBL) of the BioQuest Curriculum Consortium offers a variant of Problem Based Learning. Investigations are combined with technology, including software simulations and models, data sets, and internet-based tools. The investigative cases draw from realistic situations. Some examples of cases:
- A Case of Mistaken Identity: ethical issues arise as an adopted sister is unable to donate blood.
- Got Milk?: the presence of synthetic hormone in milk raises questions about biotech safety.
- Kujira: a Japanese wedding leads to forensic testing of whale meat.
- Murder by Atkins?: forensic chemistry to identify of a specific drug after a death.
- The Hike: calculations and problem solving help trapped students survive.